Monday, December 13, 2010
A Dresser for Baby
Well I'll be 32 weeks pregnant this week, and I am happy to say the nursery is well on it's way. I still have a lot to do like make a mobile for starters (but shhh we'll keep that to ourselves). This room is full of things from our wonderful family. The dresser for example is from my husband's grandpa.
This dresser needed a little work because the sides were bowed (which you can still see if you look at the space between the sides of the outside drawers and the frame). So we sanded it down, and I decided to paint it. I didn't mean for it to be a John Deere green (which my in-laws quickly pointed out. You have to understand they like pretty anything except for John Deere).
There was some funky, brass type drawer pulls in a ring style. I could see our little girl grabbing them and banging them against the drawer, so we decided to replace them with these simple pulls from Menards. Plus they were 70 cents a piece!
So, we sanded the outside frame so it would be flush with the top of the dresser, and I sanded between the drawers because they were sticking. I then used two coats of primer and four coats of the green paint. I wanted a really deep color with this green so I went with the four coats. That may sound like a lot, but I was actually able to use just the 'sample' size from Sherwin Williams for about $5. Yup, a free dresser, a can of primer I already had, and a $5 container from Sherwin Williams. They're samples by the way are pretty big. They're much bigger than the ones you get from Lowes or Home Depot. Plus they're in a plastic container with a handle and twist lid. So if you're kind of a lazy painter/crafter like I am, you don't need one of those prying can lids things or a hammer to close it. Hooray!
This dresser is also doubling as my changing table, and I think I'm going to build some little window box like shelves to go above it for cloth diaper storage. Yup, cloth diapers, but that's a whole other post.